I began writing as soon as I could hold a pen. At four, I produced my first book, The Adventures of Freddy the Fish, which was well received by my parents.
I got a law degree but decided I’d rather be a writer and editor than a lawyer. Thankfully, I also got a degree in writing…
Read my books
Since my early scribblings, I’ve received many awards for my writing, including the Quest Young Star Award for Arts 2005 and High Distinction in Australia’s national English and Creative Writing competitions. I was Facilitator and Secretary of the Dugong Writers’ Critique Group in Brisbane until 2010.
In my spare time, I enjoy being a mum, youth group leader, studying languages and travelling (when allowed), taekwondo, and painting. After a decade of being a youth leader, I love imagining stories that our young people might enjoy.
You can find me vlogging on YouTube, blogging about everything, working as a corporate copywriter, and generally trying to survive #mumlife.
As I currently work full-time and have a young child, I’m not taking on new freelance editing clients right now. However, if you believe you have an outstanding children’s, YA, or crossover/new adult novel, please feel free to get in touch for a manuscript assessment, advice, or recommendations for an editor.
Follow me for writing tips, or buy my books!
TJ Withers-Ryan Freelance Editor, Proofreader and Copywriter BA, LLB
My all-time favourite books by genre
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery (one of the many sequels to Anne of Green Gables)
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- The Faraway Tree and its series by Enid Blyton
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- Toad Triumphant by William Horwood (from the Wind in the Willows series)
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- The Little Blue Parcel by Norma Spaulding
- Animorphs series by assorted authors
- Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy by Lynley Dodd
- The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix Potter
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Emma by Jane Austen
- Charlotte Grey by Sebastian Faulks
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
- Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett (plus the entire Discworld series)
- Trickster’s Choice by Tamora Pierce (plus The Immortals series, Protector of the Small series, and Alanna the Lioness series)
- Alyzon Whitestarr by Isobelle Carmody (plus the Obernewtyn series)
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Once a Hero by Elizabeth Moon
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (Plus the Ender series and the Ender’s Shadow Series. I liked them before they were cool, so there.)
- My Nanna is a Ninja by Damon Young & Peter Carnavas
- Here in the Garden by Briony Stewart
- The Sky So Heavy by Claire Zorn
- Tomorrow, when the war began by John Marsden
- Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
- To serve them all my days by R.F. Delderfield
- To the Nines by Janet Evanovich
- The Holy Bible (NIV / MSG Remix version)
- Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- Praying for your future husband by Robin Jones Gunn & Tricia Goyer
- Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge
- Whatever happened to worship by A.W. Tozer
2 thoughts on “About Us”
Many of your favourite books are my favourite books! Glad I found your blog.
How delightful! Welcome to the circle, Liz W. 🙂